Let's all believe in the tiger

I leant my copy of Life of Pi to a friend. When she returned it she sat in front of me with wide blue eyes and nervous fingers on her teacup, she said I need to believe in the tiger. I don't need to believe in the tiger, it would be nice but I had my suspicions about the whole tiger situation.

Usually when offered the choice, I don't believe in the tiger. I don't believe that the person standing in front of me didn't mean to insult me, hurt me, rip off my leg and eat it. I don't believe that this blind universe doesn't have an evil radar set to smash Dale Slamma hard and often but maybe, just for today. Just for one heartbeat, I need to drum my nervous fingers on a teacup and believe in the tiger.

Comments

Gemnastics said…
I believe in the tiger, and have argued vehemently in favour of the tiger with others. Who does that mean I am? I wish it meant something.
DS said…
I think it could mean that you have not lost your faith in this world.
Gemnastics said…
Or that I'd rather this world was some other world...