Every step I take

I walked home from work. For fifty three minutes the only thing in this world I had to do was put one foot in front of the other. For fifty three minutes it was just me in the back streets with the world rolling past. About half way home I found myself inside a rhythm, I was walking at my own pace. There is peace and power in this. I think I'm going to walk home again tomorrow.

I've been talking lately about the idea of a new man. I've been talking but its all talk. I've only just started to enjoy my freedom. I'm discovering what it means to have no one to answer to, no one to phone every every afternoon to say what time I'll be home, no one to consult about dinner, no one to say no, don't do that or question everything I do. I'm starting to understand what I want, just for me.

That's not to say that I haven't met some amazing men. I'm thinking of two in particular, both unobtainable. One was whole and well and full of light, the other was a room of lamps and shadows. Maybe one day, but not just yet.

Comments