Both doomed and fucked

It was indeed a dark and stormy night. From the moment I awoke yesterday morning to the sound of pouring rain the whole thing was doomed. All day the weather raged and my anxiety grew. What kind of a woman turns her life into an experiment? This kind. The kind sitting hungover on her bed smoking cigarettes and figuring out how to report on a whole lot of nothing.

I feel empty this morning, a creeping kind of desolate as though all hope for romance has been lost. Only the foolhardy went out last night to battle the gale force winds and driving rain. At first I reveled in water water everywhere. At first I felt the retreat of burning drought but as I slogged, hood up, walking backwards into the wind between bars and pubs I lost my topsoil and any seeds of confidence sprouting there. At the first stop, my local, alcohol blazed a little trail in me and I sat on a high stool looking outwards at others for a change. My housemate The Spatula sitting perched across from me nearly bouncing in delight as six or seven men blew in through the door. The only man I vaguely liked the look of was the barman but he young, too young to even contemplate. We drank more, we moved to the other side of the bar, we drank more, we walked and walked through the storm and repeated the same process. Order drinks, scope bar, fail to do anything but the odd purposeful bump into or ask for a light.

I managed to interact with about four different men, one was just a 'Hi', one was "Have you got a light', one started giving me a massage but was dragged off by seven drunk others to find a kebab and one was an appalling man in a cycling shirt and terrible jeans who kept creeping closer and closer, feeling my breast with his elbow and upper arm whilst pointing at a woman saying "I'd fuck her, she looks like Sinead O'Connor with her hair done, I'd really fuck her". I told him she was gay to save a girl some unwelcome trouble.

The tempest continued and people wound tighter and tighter around each other embracing the familiar and ancient need to draw tight the ones they love against natural disaster. I became a pinball wizard bouncing off clusters of people. I became a flaneur. After 2am upstairs on the covered balcony at the front of the Townie I rolled a joint and blew empty smoke over the empty streets and declared the entire experiment a complete failure.

I rediscovered something I already knew. My friend Dave has this theory about drinking wine. He calls the first sip the horror. He maintains that he finds the first sip of any wine to be vile, he lets it wash around in his mouth while he pulls faces and stands on his left foot. But then he takes a second sip and it is better, by the fourth all horror dissipates for him and the true full flavour of the wine makes itself known. I'm like Dave's wine. I see it in other people as they first take a step back and look with worried eyes at the tall woman with crazy hair talking academic nonsense and unfiltered inappropriate natter at their stunned selves. But if they talk with me again, and again, they unfold and connect with me. This is what's important, to me, arcs of ideas and connecting of emotional existence, its a shame that its almost completely incompatible with getting random sex from strangers. I better think about this a little.

Comments

DS said…
I should thank The Spatula for her bravery and camaraderie, just like going over the top! Almost. But thank you dear Spatula for braving the weather and for dancing through all doorways singing.
Anonymous said…
OK, you didn't end up getting any casual sex, but look at it from another point of view: other people got to have possibly slightly surreal conversations with you when they were expecting nothing more than the usual Friday night out on the piss. So really you were doing everyone else a public service.

And if what you say about you being like wine is right, then you owe it to everyone to repeat The Experiment every week, going to the same places in the same order, so people get the chance of the second, improved, mouthfull.

Thus spake the woman who decided not to go out last night, and woke up with the lights still on, cold and scummy cup of tea on the bedside table, cigarette and lighter resting on the pillow. Clearly I need to live vicariously through other people's Friday nights.
DS said…
Z your Friday night sounds more successful than mine but I should point out that the object was coffee, not sex, actual coffee and conversation and I didn't manage either, unless you count The Spatula.
Anonymous said…
Oops, yes: I'd forgotten about the coffee part. But really, you should pride yourself on being an acquired taste, and work on subliminally making people realise that they want to have coffee with you, even if they weren't aware that was what they wanted (and seriously, how many people ARE thinking about coffee dates on a Friday night?)
DS said…
Me. I'm thinking about coffee dates.
Anonymous said…
Dale,

but it was worth that 3:15am post which was hilariously "Dorothy Parker" in tone - loved it. I picked up at the Courthouse, going back ten years ago, ended up in a two relationship (That's how I found myself in Blackheath) :) Rups
DS said…
Rupert,

What on earth is a two relationship? Ooh Bleakheath! The bleakest place in the Blue Mountains.I've been campaigning for them to change the name for ages.

I think I need some tips on how to pick up, obviously have no idea whatsoever on how to approach other human beings. Any ideas?
Gemnastics said…
Oh Dale, you are a brave lady. The weather condemned me to suture myself to the burbs, which turned out to be quite fun, me and mum and brother and some DVDs and wine and bad food. However in the coming weeks I shall rise from my grave and come drinking with you.
DS said…
DVDs sound good. I really should be less brave in the future and stay in during tempests.
Anonymous said…
Ah, now Dale, that be a sure 'slip', I was meaning two year relationship, but funnily enough met in a threesome of which lasted three days.

Rups