I have information

About the Olympia milkbar in Stanmore. In her recent book Strawberry Hills Forever Vanessa Berry talks about her obsession with the milkbar and its mysterious owner. Why is it so decrepit and what's with all the empty chocolate boxes? I have information.

Apparently the shop used to be owned by the ashen creepy man and his brother. His brother died fifteen years ago but not before extracting a promise from ashen creepy man that he would continue to run the shop, forever. Since the brother's death the cinema next door shut down, Parramatta Rd doubled its traffic and no one goes there anymore, except Vanessa Berry and the terminally curious.

I think I'm going to make a special trip.

Comments

S. Gregory said…
Yes, 'vicissitudes' is an enjoyably and ridiculously intellecshul sounding word! Thanks for popping by, ooh, two months ago now! Ha, I always was a late-starter. ...I read that you have been in contact Rupert. Interestingly and/or boringly, you actually remind me of his sister in that photo of you beneath 'IS THIS THE REAL DALE SLAMMA?' ...And all your talk about places in Sydney suffuses me of a nostalgia about when he and I moved there for a while many years ago. Ah, the vicissitudes of trampishness...
DS said…
Oooh Vanessa Berry replied to my email. It was very exciting as she is one of my heroes. I'm going to print it out and stick it on my notice board. Hooray.