I accept

Creamycam said...

Think of my own dare? Ok...

1. I dare you to offer your soul to the next person who enters the front door of your house.

2. I dare you to imagine for an entire day that you're walking upside-down, and that there is a constant imminent threat that you will fall into the clouds.

3. I dare you to use the word 'dragonfly' in a sentence that illustrates how much you care about someone.

4. I dare you to make all of your decisions by the role of two dice, a la Beyond the Labyrinth, by Gillian Rubenstein.

Dale says:

1. The Spatula was the next person to walk in the door of my house and I vote that she doesn't count because she lives here, plus she has already stolen enough souls, she's not getting mine. Wait. I can't offer my soul to anyone because that bloody Mr X nicked it over chips with gravy and a shandy.
2. Ok, Saturday I will imagine.

3. To Mr X: I chased the dream of you across Newtown metallic and absent as a dragonfly until I looked in my left pocket and found you'd stuffed it with your own self-portrait.

4. I have already done a version of this with my experimenting but I will throw my life open
once again. Leave directions in the comments. I will do as instructed and report back.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Game on! I'm excited.

I loved your response to dare three. I am in love with Gempire's alluring photo and your alluring words. If only someone would use dragonfly in a sentence that described how much they cared about me. Sigh. One day...

Incidentally, what exactly is Gemma thinking as she stares at the corner of the photo? I think she's feeling a little nostalgic, and like she feels she should be sad but somehow can't quite convince her emotional self.

As to directions for dare four, I vaguely recall the main character, Brenton, adjusting the odds depending on the egregious consequences of the situation. For example, if the question was: should I kill myself?, he would give himself favourable odds to not kill himself, like eleven and below means you stay alive. I'll leave it to your undoubtedly sensible discretion when deciding which paths deserve favourable odds.

I also believe you should be the (partial) parkour master of your own destiny, by deciding when and where you will ask the dice a question. You should, however, ask at least one question every hour, and that question should have the possibility of entirely changing the course of your day, like visiting a friend, or turning left at an intersection instead of right, or hugging a complete stranger, or taking a 'free' personality test at that scientology place, or even abstaining from masturbation (or inviting someone to masturbate with you). The possibilities are limited only by your imagination!

Oh, and (though I dare say this is an unnecessary request), you are required to document on this blog the results of said foray into probability-depicting life.
DS said…
To Creamboy: Less than the downstroke of a dragonfly's wing was all it took to realise that I could talk with this man all night.
karen said…
What the hell is Beyong the Labyrinth? The Dice Man for kids? It sounds exactly the same.
karen said…
Er, it would help if I could type properly. Ignore please.
karen said…
AND IGNORE THE FACT THAT THIS CONVERSATION HAS JUST TAKEN PLACE TWO POSTS BELOW. Oh god, I'm slow today.
DS said…
Karen: tee hee and I really think that Creamboy should read Diceman, hopefully he wouldn't be so keen for me to take it up if he did.
Gemnastics said…
why does creamperson say these thing on your blog? it is perplexing. in answer to his question, she was pondering the giant penis photo she kept tacked to her wall, which people hated and wished she'd take down. she did, eventually, but only because she moved.