The importance of loveliness


It can be important to be appropriately dressed for different activities around the home. Today I am wearing my CIA housework outfit which is more fun then you'd expect.

Simply wear black beret, black stretchy trousers, black singlet and thongs with cherries printed on them then go about your business washing things, having cups of tea and having little sit downs between tidying things. This is an easy way to add value to your day and more fetching than wearing jeans and a big white cotton shirt with the bandanna of activity (royal blue paisley) which is a more usual housework outfit.

The Spatula has just given me a lovely little round flat blue container. It opens out and there is a mirror on one side and some powder stuff on the other side. Apparently the powder is the wrong colour for The Spatula but the right colour for me. I've never had one of these before and I am quite taken with opening it then snapping it shut to hear the lovely little clicky sound that it makes. There is a round spongey sort of thing that lives in the container and is used to apply the powder to your face. I might have a go at putting some on in a minute. The Spatula says that you can use it over the top of foundation (I don't have any!) or just on your face by itself. I am not sure of the purpose of it yet but am willing to have a go none the less.

So far since moving into this house, which I have taken to calling The Peach, I have been coerced into buying red lip stain (which is red for your lips but doesn't wear off like lipstick, good for a spaz like me), straightening my hair, buying eyeshadow and now I have a clicky little container thing which is a lovely object.

The good effect of loveliness is not to be underestimated. I am sitting on my bed on top of my lovely doona cover with cushions and pillows to lean on. My ashtray is a nifty green glass vintage one, the cat is purring at the end of the bed and all around me are my lovely objects and things. Grizelda calls my bedroom an explosion of Daleness. There are piles and piles of books, but they are in neat piles, glass objects, paintings, prints, flowers and the odd crystal vase. I am drinking elderflower water out of a well balanced glass and my laptop is quite the thing. There is sunshine in the window and teacups ready and waiting in the kitchen.

Today The Peach feels like an oasis. The Spatula is singing and ferreting around in her pottering way that she loves. Grizelda has just gone off on a jaunt to see some friends. I have washed the dishes, taken out the rubbish and hung out my clean clothes. No effort is required. I am an island in my CIA outfit alternately reading a book, pondering, drinking tea and staring about at my lovely things. I have even eaten two meals today. A muffin with vegemite for breakfast and for lunch I had another muffin, half with pesto on, the other half with an egg and pesto served with baby spinach leaves, grape tomatoes, olives and a big pot of Lady Grey tea on the deck.

This evening I will eat yet another meal (that's three, woo hoo! ) then I will watch Dr Who before dressing for a party. I might even dab on some powder before I go. Lovely.

Comments

Gemnastics said…
there is productivity in the air! i am doing sensible things too, though in a much less fetching outfit.

did you write the olympia milk bar entry for wikipedia?
cath said…
Dammit Dale, you have a very fetching way of describing exactly how it feels to have a quiet afternoon. My effort went along the lines of '...I am having a quiet afternoon...' (I expect my audience to do all the work:-)
Anonymous said…
"explosion of Daleness", that can sometimes be the result of a Dale experiment, at any stage of its undertaking. Must be performed always by a qualified Dale.

xo Rups
DS said…
Oh yes. A tricky operation to be sure.
ragingyoghurt said…
apparently the compact powder is something do with being a lady? my grandmother used to say, as if it were a saying, "you're going out and you don't even have a speck of powder on." i'm still not sure if it was a question or a damning statement, but eventually she stopped saying it.

i use a cherry-flavoured, red-tinted lipbalm, but your lip stain sounds very practical. what is it, please?
DS said…
I hope it wasn't a damning statement cause I'm sure damned if it was.

Lip stain stuff is called something like Just Bitten which I liked the name of cause I like biting things.