On her first birthday I slipped back in time

For the smallest person I know, on your first birthday I slipped back in time, back to a year ago when I walked differently, back to when I was the most important person in someone's life, back to a place where love was tangible and I wandered through the aquarium arm in arm.

In thinking of all the things I could possibly write to you they all meant essentially the same thing. Welcome to this world, we are all so very pleased that you arrived safely, nothing new, nothing new. Fond as I have always been of your parents something unexpected happened to push this into perspective. I'll explain in a slow way the small thing that happened.

Yesterday was a long warm day and by the time I caught the train at Redfern station I was exhausted. At first a sense of friendship and duty propelled me towards Penrith instead of Windsor and home. Artboy met me at Blacktown station where I had been waiting for twenty minutes stamping my feet, spilling my coffee and silently cursing as all the commuters streamed down the stairs and past me into waiting cars and buses.

By the time I was in the car and headed up the M4 I'd smoked way too many cigarettes, spilled half a soy latte down my jacket and generally smelled so bad that I felt worried. This was the first indication that something different was at hand. You see I regularly rock up to anywhere stinking like an ashtray with hair on end and half a muesli bar in my pocket. At the hospital I paid five dollars to park the car.

I walked into the room and positioned like sentries were Ron, my brother and Rhett. Artboy walked over to meet them and there you were in a plastic crate like nuts or taps at a hardware shop, you could have been wheeled in from anywhere.

Rita sat calmly and talked me through the birth. Spinal blocks, septic shock, a violent slashing through of muscles right into the core. How brave, how radiant and strong your beautiful mother. Ron held you easy as a tennis ball like heartache never existed. He said it was frightening when he came upstairs with just you, Rita pinned down by doctors and septic shock. He said frightening in a small flat voice with wide eyes, a half second where even the echo of his fear was unbearable to witness.

My brother sat ensconced in the corner, he is almost incapable of uttering an appropriate emotional response, it was his presence, his very presence, he came straight from work and stayed til visiting hours were over.

Ray came in, sandy-haired boy of a man. All of these men have sat in my house and let off firecrackers and drunk and smoked until dawn. Girlfriends come and hearts break even their friendships have hung by a thread but here they all are. We gather tonight like a pride. You have opened in us all the tribal urge to circle and protect. We stand in the spaces between ritual, searching each other, longing for the collective memory of arms and legs and hearts singing in age old celebration but we have none so we sit and stand and talk about anything but the beating of your heart.

I sit in the corner nearest the door slowing down my breathing, sitting in silent wonder at the fierceness welling in me. Ron passed you gently to Rita and a ripple went round the room, every muscle in every body flexed, all eyes on you, no thought but to ensure your safety in this one small movement. This is when we were more human, passionate, articulate, united than we have ever been. One moment, one movement, one gap between breaths. That was the small thing that happened.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You can't make me cry at 8 in the morning, that's not fair. Thank you on behalf of the munchkin, she enjoyed the fishquarium and the company.
DS said…
Sorry bout that.
Gemnastics said…
I think this is the most awesome thing you have written so far.
Anonymous said…
I attempted to write this last night but the server was spacking out, but:
Wow. Thaks Dale.
To have a split second defined like that with such clarity is just breathtaking.
I hope our little one-year-old can read this in the future.
Thanks so much.
Anonymous said…
And I meant thanks, not thaks. Thaks sounds like I'm hitting someone with a long skinny branch.
DS said…
Ah very European of you, the hitting with skinny branches I mean. My Grandmother was known to have naked saunas with her friends in a shed on the farm and then run around in the top paddock hitting people with skinny sticks. Odd those Estonians.

But about the post. Its no thing, its just what I do. I am a camera, a stop motion reconstruction of the beating of my heart. I was very glad to have been there.
Anonymous said…
I have met people who were not aware Estonia was a country. They believed it was state one entered after smoking far too much mary jane.
And I have met a woman named Mary Jane. Sad thing was her parents had not visited Estonia and despite the proliferation of terrible Cheech and Chong movies around the time their daughter was born, were not aware that teenagers would giggle in every role call at school.
But thakyou anyway. And thankyou.
DS said…
I think I may have met some of those people too. Idiots. By the way I have taken up your saying of Great music to invade Poland by. Nice saying that.
Anonymous said…
As much as I would love to take credit for that one, I don't think it was me. At least not recently...
Besides, post vegan trial if we go to the lowenbrau and get a few steins into us, any music is great music to invade poland to.
"I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay..."
DS said…
Oh it must be Spencer's saying. Its a good one. What do you say we go to the lowenbrau (I've never been before) and then actually try to invade Poland? I could be a Captain and the munchkin could be the one that pushes flags around on a map. Rita can be in charge of planning sensibly and you can run around in a fancy hat yelling hilarious things.
Anonymous said…
Ja, und Ich bein Herr Kartopfelkopf.
DS said…
Potatohead? Is that right? My German is virtually non-existent.
cath said…
That really was beautiful stuff Dale. If on;y every family had you to chronicle the arrival of their little ones!
DS said…
Weirdest business idea ever. Writer for hire to chronicle poignant moments. First kiss, first fuck, break ups, births, deaths and marriages. Simply pop me in the corner and off I go with my little pen and notepad. Actually I should post about this. Thanks Cath for the compliment and for triggering in me an idea.
Anonymous said…
That's MR Potatohead to you...