What the hell is this?

It looks like a giant broom head but round and hollow. It is across the road and a few houses down. I think I can feel it looking at me through the wall, I'm starting to get a bit worried. I'm also worrying about my sudden and complete obsession with the word glioblastoma or more accurately glioblastoma multiforme. Glioblastoma the word sounds like the most fun it is possible for a person to have without exploding but its meaning is in fact almost the opposite. It is a sort of deadly brain octopus which may or may not be from outer space and will most likely kill you until you are dead. Here lies Dale Rockin' Slamma, she thought she was at a marvellous party and insisted on wearing her Rolling Stones t-shirt right until the very end but it was only glioblastoma multiforme slithering into her brain, may she rest in party.

Another excellent word is gliss. or glissando but I prefer the shortened form gliss. The italics are important because the only time I see the word is in a musical score as an instruction in italics so that is how I think of it. I am not so pleased with the actual sound of glissandi in isolation, it is a sound that requires context and I'm not talking Great Balls of Fire here, it shakes my nerves and it rattles my brain.

I spent quite a lot of time this weekend writing an essay about the Marrickville Metro. I am working together ideas of the labyrinth, the Thunderdome, glioblastoma multiforme, newspapers and my own personal happiness. I had a fabulous time writing this essay with all the while in the back of my head the thought of rocking the blog world with the brilliance of my essay post. I sat at the table out on the deck in the lovely winter sunshine having cups of tea and eating pink cupcakes that Grizelda made. I haven't been this happy forever and that's when I put down my pink notepad and pencil and stopped. Sometimes it is the process and not the product that truly matters.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's fabulous that you are happy. and the winter sun was great today. Here's to more moments of great process.

The pic looks like a fuzzy tutu, or a ladies race day hat gone horribly wrong.
NWJR said…
It IS a giant broom. It's from one of those street sweepers you see cleaning the roads. It must have come loose.
Gemnastics said…
"Kill you till you are dead." This will be the line of the week.

We can't wait for the MM essay, and now that you have hinted at its arrival, you are contractually bound. This is how it works in the blogosphere.
Tara Tartly said…
mmm...that's so good when that happens. the process, not the broom. although sometimes a giant broom might be part of the process...in which case, the broom is also good.
DS said…
I am fabulous, the broom is fabulous but I am not going to post the essay. I think it would be rather asking for it seeing as I said I was thinking that it was so brilliant it would rock the blog world. Damn cheeky of me really.
Anonymous said…
Why on earth are you fixated on brain cancer? And not just any, but probably the most aggressive type I can think of... where did you hear about it?
DS said…
There was an article about a man who has it in The Good Weekend this Saturday. I don't know why I am fixated, there were approximately 58 million words in the Herald this Saturday, I guess glioblastoma multiforme were just the most exciting words.