Riddle me this

These were the clues two of my colleagues gave me when I failed to immediately discover the nine letter word in the Sydney Morning Herald's target word the other day.

F: It is something you could almost wear.
J: No it isn't.
F: I said you could almost wear it not actually wear it.
J: I suppose it is almost something a lady or Rupert might wear.
F: For a good night in.
J: You Dale of all people should know this.

The word was negligent, which is similar enough to the word negligee to be called something that you could almost wear if you were a lady or Rupert and wanted a fun night at home. I should have known the word because I went to law school and not because I am a lady, this was explained after I finally figured out the word. I wanted to try and explain the surreal nature of this office lunchtime but I don't think its possible.

PS Rupert your fame grows every day even if it is an odd word puzzle clue sort of fame.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are great---
"a persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of long words",
I read your blog and the dumping ground every day ..... From the Caribbean...
Cheers..Me
NWJR said…
I've been negligent about taking care of my negligee...I have no idea where I put it.

Them, actually. But whatever.
Anonymous said…
I can't wait to make it into Scrabble!

xoxo Rups