Found object: triangle watch


Object found by Gemma in her mail box because I posted it to her. This really isn't how The Experiment of tag & release is supposed to work. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by the boring people of planet earth who will not play along with my little game. If I found an object with a tag on it I would definitely investigate further. Come on people! Play!

This watch was given to me as a present in 1989. My friend went to Bali and came back with many exotic things, mostly copper, brown or orange in colour. She also gave me a set of those long metal fingernails that you stick on your fingers when performing traditional dances from that part of the world. I don't know what happened to those. I had a small go at that style of dancing in my bedroom one night but one got stuck in my scrunchie (it was 1989) and I poked myself in the eye with another one.

The watch stopped working in 1989, I wore it until 1992. At first the watch went backwards then it would perform odd leaps of time, sometimes backwards and sometimes forwards. I didn't care. I loved that watch. At the same time I was wearing the watch I unpicked all the buttons from my school shirts and replaced with them with buttons shaped like things such as aeroplanes, bananas and tiny horses. I went through a phase of allowing my shortish hair to stick straight up in its natural afro style formation, sometimes I would crimp the bits I could reach. I usually wore socks with cows printed on them and carried around my flute in its case and my double bass. I don't think it was possible to be less stylish. Its important to note that no one else at my school was doing this. Just me.

To the alarm of every teacher and student at my school I soon after morphed into a pirate shirt wearing rebel leader but that's a tale for another day.

Comments

Gemnastics said…
oh, i didn't know i was meant to leave a comment! i suppose i did find it, but not by accident. if it redeems me it is now hanging from a nail on my bedroom wall.
DS said…
Oh yes, that is an act of redemption. However I don't think that redemption was necessary seeing as you did not discover the object by accident I"m not sure the same rules apply.
cath said…
I'm not at all surpirised at your lack of 'response' to your admirable experiment. people are very frightened in general.
Shelley said…
I must wander the streets of Newtown more in the hope that I find something. Actually, I must wander the streets of Newtown more - it's been a while.
DS said…
I will continue with this project. I must unclutter. I will be a minimalist if it kills me.