All art is trying to be anaesthetic

Working in The Arts is boring. Here is the pop at the end of your dream bubble. Working in The Arts is tedious, relentless, mind numbing and ridiculous. All business is business and must run according to the laws that govern business. It matters little whether your aim is to promote and protect the rights of cellists. At the end of every day every day 9 to five, nine to 5 the accounts must be set in order. The bills must be paid, things must be typed, pieces of paper will be printed on and put into folders, there will be a database, you will stare at the database and then make it produce lists. People will telephone and be rude.

I'm shutting down The Arts. The people do not want it anyway. There is no money here. Nobody cares if another author steps over their fallen dream and sets fire to their pages. Nobody cares about the stupid old painters with their stupid old paint. Nobody cares about boys with laptops that go beep intermittently. So let's shut the whole thing down. Hand me your instruments, your brushes, your words, your sounds, your pencils, your cans of things that squirt, pass me your scrap metals, your felts and your pain. Set down your canvas, your needles, your laptops, your grid paper, your pigments and glass. Put here in this box your projectors and pastels, your oils and dogs made of flowers. Hand me your perspective, your dictionaries and pointe shoes, your bows and mouthpieces, your music stands, manuscripts and your ears, your neurons and your old boots without a brand name. Disarrange those words young poet cause I'm shutting the whole thing down.

Comments

Martin Kingsley said…
But then what we will do? Without our Arts, pastels, pens, projectors, we'll shortly be climbing in and out of windows with other people's silverware tucked under one arm and putting cars up on cinderblocks to get at those precious rubber treads. Hell, I, myself, might become a crack addict (ostensibly to lose weight), but we all know I'd end up addicted to stealing car radios.
DS said…
I would like a car radio. Can you get one for me? I would like a small shiny one that plays cd's or ipods or both oh yeah and some crack.

Hang on a minute. Music has been shut down. No point in car radios. Please just bring crack.
cath said…
Good move I say. It's only after it's gone that people will wonder where it went and why life just doesn't seem as colourful anymore. Failing this ALL artists everywhere should go on worldwide strike. No more books, no more music, no more ANYTHING. See how they like it.
DS said…
What if they didn't notice?
cath said…
Hmmm, unfortunately I suspect they wouldn't. The pop industry could be largely populated with robots and there wouldn't be an appreciable difference. As in that fabulous piece of writing 'Earth Abides', I suspect we'd have enough to last us for a couple of generations and then humans would find other forms of new culture to amuse them. I hate it when I depress myself...
DS said…
Sci fi? Oh dear. No no that won't do. I'm burning all the books too.
TimT said…
I don't think that pop music is really as artifical as people make it out to be - sure, it relies a lot on machines and manipulated sounds, but ever since people started experimenting with instruments and ways of producing sound from machines that developed into guitars, violins, etc, you could say this has been happening. I think the thing with a lot of pop music is simply that the people who actually make it are largely invisible, and the glory goes to the pretty singers and instrumentalists, in order to further chunk up sales. And it's sort of formulaic, in the sense that all music relies on formulaes, but a lot of music from the classical tradition has recognisable formulaes too, and is just as complex, and in its own way, just as addictive.

Kingsley Amis once wrote an interesting criticism/appreciation of SF where he noted that a lot of SF writers see art as being moribund anyway, and due to die out in a few hundred years (it's science that they really loved and glorified.)

On the whole, I don't think I can support this Slamma Arts Moratorium, and therefore must oppose this policy.
DS said…
I agree with you about pop but am wondering why oppose the Slamma Arts Moratorium. Have you a case for The Arts?
TimT said…
It gives you pretty pictures wot to look at and nice words wot to read and wot not.
DS said…
So its decorations you are after? Go to Ikea and stop at a newsagency on the way.
TimT said…
But if Ikea did actually start a line in aesthetically pleasing poetry and painting and books, then I strongly suspect the Slamma Moratorium would extend to banning Ikea as well.

I like my Shakespeare too much to give it up, I'm afraid.
DS said…
I see you will not be drawn in. There has been much research and pondering about what is art and why is it necessary. My new idea is to ignore all of this and create my own angle on Why The Arts Must Be Stopped.