I'm filing my nails while they drag the lake

The heat sears my head in razor thin strips between tight parcels of foil. Such a busy lifting of elbows and protrusion of shoulder blades. One woman's hair falls in tiny snippets revealing her plain as a monk.

Me sitting with my two arcs of steel climbing out in giant reflective halves of an orange black strands poking limply between. My pomerian fringe pom pomming front and centre. One woman skulks tall and crumpled slooping about her duties with a forward fold in her middle and a droop in her neck. A great slow thing with cropped tangerine hair and old Notre Dame pushing up the back of her dress.

A quiet pride and measured intensity absorb all in their work, the sloop girl alone floats. There is hotel room coffee served in a silver plunger on a silver tray. My very own miniature silver milk jug and individually wrapped biscuits. I leave the milk and two paper sticks filled with sugar untouched on the tray. I move them to left of the tray in a neat line.

One girl in the back right hand corner shakes almost imperceptibly. She lacks the snapped aura of the competent as she hunches clutching and re-clutching fistfuls of hair. The other toned models of deportment move in precise minute movements.

I sip at my hotel room coffee biding my pain.

Comments