But I threw out my suits!

I am staring at a suitcase and wondering what to put in it. I am going to Melbourne to see Gemma and Melbourne. I haven't travelled by myself since I was fourteen. My parents had a habit of sticking me on aeroplanes for solo holidays, this is how I developed my complete and beautiful fear of travelling anywhere at all unfamiliar by myself.

I distinctly remember sitting on an plane by myself when I was eight years old not knowing where I was going or who, if anyone, was meeting me at the other end. I'm sure that someone must have told me but I could not remember. I sat with my small bear on my lap and my notebook in my left hand swinging my feet and staring at the clouds thinking I am nowhere. This is the feeling that happens when I'm on a different bus from usual or driving to an unfamiliar place. This is the feeling that amplifies when a day loses direction or I sit down to think about the future of my life.

I have opened and shut the suitcase three times. Once I put hats in it then took them out again. I put a tube of toothpaste in the suitcase. I took that out again too because I needed to clean my teeth.

This is a journey I need to make.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Um. Do you own that toothpaste?
DS said…
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.

It is possible that the rule of finders keepers [Finders v Losers 1206 Old Bailey Reports]applies in this situation.

I put it to you Mr Anonymous that you did indeed, with clear intent and purpose seek to leave that tube of toothpasteon Ms Slamma's kitchen sink, knowing full well that Ms Slamma was running low on toothpaste, to entrap her into this alleged act of pirate sneakthieving wenchery so that you could call her a pirating wench.

I put it to you Mr Anonymous that losers are weepers. Also, as your attorney I advise you to drink more rum.
When I went to America, I had to ask my friend over there whether I should pack three months' worth of sanitary pads. "I mean, do they sell them over there? In the South? Do Americans even menstruate?"

I imagine you have similar concerns about whether 'Bourneans use toothpaste. Apparently, we do. It was one of Jeff Kennett's initiatives.
TimT said…
Yes, I hear he was strongly swayed by arguments from the States that fluoridated water turns kids into communists. Which is true, you know. I grew up in a town with unfluoridated water, and look at me now.

Kids, don't let this happen to you.
Shelley said…
I spent my formative years with flouridated water before spending some years in the wilderness...does this explain my politics?
Gemnastics said…
i will provide toothpaste. water too.
DS said…
Hurrah!

I don't think I am really allowed to pack the toothpaste I have seeing as it doesn't technically belong to me.