Melbs a-go-go

Now I love Gemma dearly but her internet is intolerably slow. We have returned from a trip to the northside where I patted Marting Kingsley, that was odd.

I have decided to write a report about my Melbourne adventures and adventures I am having. This morning I bought a dozen eggs but when Gemma opened the box there were only eleven eggs inside. I caught a tram by myself to Brunswick St. I ate something unidentifiable and oh yes I may be drunk.

I can't get a grip on St Kilda. Not yet. The bay is unexpected, everything has it placed to the side where as Sydney stares at its harbour like a television.

There was beer and some kind of oil infused bread at the pub where I sat chatting with Gemma, Rupert and Martin. Imagine I put links there.

Yesterday I sat in Gemma's frontyard plaing cards and eating cake while Gemma had a garage sale. Its like a hive this builiding. This is what I will now imagine when I think of that Louis Macniece poem, thigh over thigh in the hive of home.

Things are becoming disjointed. I am outof context and unsure of the sound of my footsteps. The red in my hair is fading and these shoes are meandering down a new street every day. There are some things I am sure of but these are small. I am sure that I need my hair. I am sure that I do not like covers bands. I am sure that I like the curtains hanging numb in my bedroom. I am sure that I miss my cat.

It smells of salt here, in waves, and Gemma stands like a monument. There is no doubting the force of her existence. Where I am staying, in this happy hive, is a stone's throw from cake shops. I don't just mean a shop that makes bread and some crap cakes. This is art. This is serious art and I do not think I will ever eat anything except kugelhopf ever again. Nothing but kugelhopf and cigarette smoke shall ever pass these lips. This is my decree.

Comments

Martin Kingsley said…
You did indeed pat me. I was patted. There was a definite patting component.

You are very good at patting, and I find it comforting. Gempires can feck off, it has nothing to do with the mummiometry of this boy, it has much more to do with pure physical pleasure. Argggh!

Tonight was excellent. I look forward to further patting adventuretrons, out here in the Real World. Compose your Wednesday and let me know.
TimT said…
Nothing but cigarettes and kugelhopf? I think you should try a rum baba first!

Tonight, walking home in the dark, I got batted. Whole tonne of bats around Coburg - very strange. And possibly diabolical.

It's like I'm living in a battery, man.

(Glad yr enjoying Melbs.)
cath said…
Sounds like the ultimate diet to me:-) Mind you, I do insist that soft-baked pretzels be added for salt-cravings and I absolutely insist on fine red wine...and champagne...and chartreuse...and chocolate...and hearty soups with crusty bread...and I could quite easily ramble on all night. Hope you adore Melbourne and aren't to damn exhausted to notice how goddam stunning Creamboy will look on Saturday:-) He and Superman may need some hugs though.
Anonymous said…
I remember being there, I think I owe Martin a drink because we bought fresh ones just as our ride arrived and had to down them down the hatch at record speed.

Rups xo
Anonymous said…
Fuck! All kinds of disaster in a university sort of way. I managed to find out that I scraped a pass in the essay I wrote in three hours the night before it was due. This is both a miracle and a disaster. Tomorrow I will have to come back to this stinking internet cafe to pay my uni fees online or be cast out of academia forever. That is another kind of disaster.

I have three minutes and twenty seconds left in this stinking internet cafe. My hotel is non-smoking. NON-SMOKING!!! What the fuck is with that.

I am going to catch a tram by myself to meet Gemma at The Spinning Room poetry thing tonight. That should be fun if my navigation does not fail me.

Dale Rockin' Slamma was ere, somewhere on Flinders St.
Gemnastics said…
ah. this would not have happened were you still safely futonning it at The Hive.
NWJR said…
I hate it when I get shorted an egg.
ragingyoghurt said…
i know that kugelhopf! i love it too!
DS said…
Yum! Is there anywhere in Sydney that has kugelhopf?
ragingyoghurt said…
hmm. i've never even tried to track it down here. it's just something i hang out for when i'm in melbourne. but. i did just do a quick google, which suggested that it might be found at the grumpy baker on oxford street? they do a pretty good bourek, so maybe the kugelhopf would be awright too.