11 o'clock and all is well, now

It started with some loud discussion about condiments, I could hear them from my room which is situated at the opposite end of The Peach from the kitchen. I'm not sure how it happened, I was trying my level best to work on my essay and for once I was actually making some progress. There was stomping up and down the hallway, there was full scale yelling there was door closing and opening, in short The Peachettes were at war.

The Spatula stomped off down the hallway and Grizelda came into my room, I cleared off my armchair, sat her down and rolled her a cigarette. It is my firm belief that non-smokers should smoke in a situation like this one. Grizelda was angry, the kind of angry that eats your words and leaves you staring with a hand on your heart to keep it from leaping out of your chest. I thought oh dear, this is not ideal. The Spatula entered soon after and my essay quietly slipped into the abyss.

I should have been angry. I should have thrown the pair of them out but I thought there is possibility in this situation. The Peach has been in an advanced state of discombobulation for some time now. The corners are all dust and the carpets high and lumpy where we have all been sweeping and sweeping things. Sometimes it is possible to cast a wide net of calm and paint words across air and breathe them like balm. A discussion about condiments had lead us into new territory.

So we talked and despite their anger and their tears and the mess raging all round us like harbingers of doom we decided to rebuild this city. Tomorrow I will work on my essay in my office, away from here, away from the commencement of large scale recombobulation, our grand plan. I will return to The Peach before 3 because that is the hour when everything changes.

We are rearranging all of the communal spaces. We have a grand vision of The Peach rising from the ashes. We have a plan at working at living together. We have been thrown together here by disaster, misadventure and the jagged shapes of broken love. The time for camping and dreaming of a time when our lives were real or longing for our lives to begin again are over. I have lost an evening of much needed study time but I have gained hope and a library. I will make the ridiculous declaration that more people should yell at each other about condiments more often.

Comments

NWJR said…
I fucking hate Ketchup. Actually, I don't really hate Ketchup, but I hate the smell that it imparts to a room when it's left on a plate to fester for hours after the food that formerly sat next to it is long consumed and the remainder of the condiment hangs on the plate and begins its inevitable devolution into something less than desirable, spreading its evil scent into the surrounding room, thus offending my nose and inspiring this rant.

Fuck. I hate ketchup.

Wow. That WAS therapeutic!
Anonymous said…
Perhaps you should rename your dwelling The Phoenix?
TimT said…
My condiments to the chef!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Er, yes. That will be all, then.
TimT said…
BTW, what's all this about the Western Sydney Artist being the 'New Noble Savage?' There's only one word in that description that rings true, and it's not the first two.
DS said…
Lately I've been hearing some arts commentary lauding the unique bravery and spirital, cultural overcoming of odds to create - when the artist comes from Western Sydney. Like they had to climb over razor wires, like they don't have thought and education and backyards in which to construct things like it was some kind of miracle that someone from 'out there' had a thought or an idea not involving their family bbq or the size of their television screen. Like Western Sydney is a millstone weight of disadvantage, like geography pushes people into a new kind of species, like they are crawling in gutters and someone blocked out the stars. This broadcast imagined vast tract of suburbia as concentration camp has gone far enough. I will fight them on the beaches.