Bat signals

Everyone's been sending out bat signals of distress. Last night they were coming in thick and fast by phone, email, online chat and text message. I was trying to work on my essay but instead I was discovering my own lack of boundaries. If someone's in need of something human like comfort or hope or an understanding face to take the full force of their rebounding rage then all other options drop off my list of possibilities. I can't turn them away.

Distress. Dis ease. Despair. I have enough of my own but still I soak it in like sunlight, like I'm basking in the warmth of it. I'm not doing this on purpose. I usually deploy shields but they're all down, I've been sending out my own bat signals. My essay is now late, it is not finished but neither am I. Tonight I will do this. I will lay down my briefcase and take up my lecture notes and I will work until it is done. I will set aside weariness and the low throb in the centre of my spine. I will work until it is done.

Last night I should have said this. What steps are you taking to help yourself to feel better? Are you doing the things you are supposed to be doing? Are you rolling this distress downhill faster and faster to watch it gather momentum or are you drawing small important lines in your sand. What steps are you taking to make yourself feel better? If you need me, if you're reaching for the buttons or the dials or the sneakers or the keys that will add your straw to my back then stop, please, just for now. Let's all take one big step to the left and set the dimmer switch on the bat signal to low.

Comments