I can't stop thinking

About Finnish rehearsal regulations. I don't have much else on my mind, other than the usual clattering obsessions and the haunting sentences flapping like bats. I'm going out for coffee and hoping to remember to come home with cat food. I'm going out for coffee even though I think it might be a bad idea. I've convinced The Peachettes to meet me for dinner after my bad idea coffee so I can fill my belly and walk the street silent amongst their chatter and the shop windows.

You see he emailed me out of the blue and gave me his phone number. I rang him straight away because he knows Elliot and I thought Elliot might be dead and I don't like not knowing. When he answered he was dismissive of Elliot, gave me a "He's back in rehab, I had to kick him out of the house, that sucked a bit. So you want to meet me for a coffee sometime?".

He's been suggesting days and times by text message. The first one I declined, the next one asked me to suggest when. I turned it over for a moment, put the phone down and walked out into the hallway. I'm not sure why, in the end, I settled on today. I've been thinking of reasons why he wants to meet up with me and I can't come up with any. Not one. I've met him two or three times, by accident when I've been visiting Elliot. I don't think I have anything to talk about with this man. He's some of sort tradesman, in recovery. The first time I met him he told me he used to be a junkie. A gutter junkie was what he said, a gutter junkie that robbed for a living.

So now I'm sitting here wondering why it is that I said yes and wondering what the hell we are going to talk about, wondering if I'm getting everything all wrong by assuming conversation will lapse into pockets of silence while I look left then down and stir my coffee.

Comments