INRI

Well we all have crosses to bear. I am standing underneath one and it looms large, larger than the school taught Bruce Dawe cross flying up in my childhood mind. Larger than Rio or the impossibility of running on scissors.

This is my afternoon microwaving baked beans and staring at textbooks, this is my early evening still sitting in this morning's gym clothes pulling at my hair, this is my night gathering intellectual discomfort at the molecular level. This is high level gut wrenching sonic boom procrastination.

Dear Deakin University,

I take back my grant application, I take back my fees, I take back the small promise that I would do this because I have made a mistake. I need my downtime back. I need hours of rolling words in my head and cigarettes in my fingers. I need space between objects and unexpected horizons. I need the pointless wandering in my hallway. I need invented crises and a reorganised pantry. I need the starkness of an empty life and the hard edges of nothing. Dear Deakin university I think I have made a mistake.

Comments

cath said…
Oh yes.
Dear all tertiary institutions,
please send info asap as to exactly how much of myself I must sacrifice to gain your illustrious piece of paper. Am including a list of all the 'small' things that make me live. Please highlight or leave sticky notes next to those I will have to sacrifice.
Thanking you in advance.
Anonymous said…
You'll get there. And on the way there you should join my fleet.

Hmmm. Perhaps I should go to bed.
Gemnastics said…
what happened to the other stuff? did i dream it? did the spatula get stuck in her office? did you and superman play chess over a 52 dollar cafe frenzy? did i have a well rounded thought?
TimT said…
Free the Spatula now!
DS said…
That's what I told the police - Free The Spatula now! (please)

The Spatula has been released, I did play chess with Superman in a cafe, Gemma did have a well-rounded thought and it was not about toast or cakes.

I am a geek now. Does this mean I need new shoes?
TimT said…
SIRS:

We, the undersigned, are writing in to your esteemed quarterly journal/and or society to express our concern about an ongoing problem: the freedom of The Spatula.

For too long, the media have refused to give full coverage to the issue of Spatularights. Thus, they have become implicit in the repression of Spatulakind by Australian society at large.

This cannot go long any longer: if one Spatula is opressed, all Spatulas are repressed! And furthemore, all that is necessary for the Anti-Spatula-ites to win is for the Pro-Spatula-ites to say nothing! These, we think you will admit, are compelling arguments.

We hope you will join with us in writing letters to your local members of parliament urging the Spatula cause upon them. Free the Spatula now! Elevators must stop eating and imprisoning Spatulakind, and must instead learn to live a life of peaceful co-existence with Spatulakind. This is an issue of vital international import.

Thank you for your time,
We are,
& co & co,
Members of the Spatula Rights NOW! Society.
DS said…
Dear Timt,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. As a concerned member of the public your opinion is important to Ms Slamma.

Kind Regards
Minion

on behalf of Ms Slamma
Excogitator
Anonymous said…
Timt! you are my saviour.. all those of the spatulakind thankyou - repression of spatulas shall not prevail!!